Monday, March 19, 2007

spring break...woo hoo?

My spring break is over. A few highlights...

I got a haircut and color. Carmen is a genius and I love her. I feel like a new woman.

I went out almost every night. The drinking part wasn't the best, it was feeling like I could relax and completely enjoy myself with my good friends.
Had a little slumber party with some friends on St. Patrick's Day. Notable: tumors, instructional dvd's, a nice fire, good conversations, laughter and general silliness.

I spent Friday at the Frist. What a great day.
The Matisse/Picasso exhibit was fine. I know I am supposed to be overjoyed at having such great artwork in our city but I wasn't very impressed with the actual pieces they selected to exhibit. It was worth the $6.50 student price and definitely worth the couple hours I spent there though.

I am not a huge fan of Matisse's paintings, although I do appreciate them. What I do enjoy are his drawings. His ability to edit and to portray his subjects with the fewest lines possible has always impressed me.

The most incredible part of my visit were some video pieces by HIRAKI SAWA. One large piece, "Going Places Sitting Down", was projected onto 3 large screens in the back room of the main gallery downstairs. It honestly felt like walking into a dream. I had a difficult time getting my head back together after watching it as it was simply beautiful and elegant and relaxing…like a good dream should be.

In the upstairs gallery is an exhibit featuring Mexican Printmaking (1920-1950). My favorite pieces were by Diego Rivera (Frida Kahlo's husband). I'll have to go back. After watching Hiraki Sawa's videos, it was difficult to concentrate and all I wanted was have a cigarette and cocktail.
Which I did and I was drunk and home in bed by 10:30.

Spring break. woo hoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment