Tuesday, October 16, 2007

the fine art of not sleeping

16 Oct 07 Tuesday 3:16 AM


If I were you, I wouldn't read this. It's gonna be boring and most likely put you to sleep. Which is kinda ironic, because...welllll....

Quite simply, I can't sleep when I get sick. I can't sleep other times as well, but let's just focus on the issue at hand. Medication does nothing for me. Nyquil? Forget it. I'll sleep hard for about 2 hours and then wake up throughout the night disoriented and high. Most medications have the complete opposite effect on me. If it says non-drowsy, most likely I'll be wired for about an hour and then completely crash. If it says "so you can rest" medicine, well, you get the picture.

I've found the best thing for me to do is to read/research or write. So, here I sit. 3:30am, a cup of herbal sleep tea steeping and 2 dogs by my side. Here are some of the things I'm looking at, thinking about or researching as I await the effects of my sleep tea:

We pretty much all know chamomile is used as a relaxant, but had you ever heard of skullcap?

From the Encyclopedia of Alternative Medicine:
Skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora) is currently known best as a herbal sedative. By reducing tension, skullcap may contribute to lower blood pressure. Skullcap is also used as a remedy for exhaustion, convulsions, menstrual cramps, and as a treatment for withdrawal from alcohol and tobacco. The herb may be taken as a bitter tonic to boost digestion. Skullcap is also sometimes used as a remedy for hiccups, hangovers, and asthma.

Also, if you haven't stopped reading by now, I had yet another friend tell me today he's moving to the East Coast (specifically, NYC). Is all of Nashville moving to the East Coast? I mean, I'm happy for you all. I'm very supportive. But envy, she's getting the best of me. I love Nashville, please don't get me wrong. However, the idea of moving is something I think about pretty frequently. I am constantly looking at job openings on professional design websites (most openings are in Chicago, NYC, Atlanta -no thanks, Dallas, TX -no thanks). Granted, starting salaries for openings where I meet the prerequisite experience is pretty menial (at best). With that being said, it's the same case if I took a design job here in Nashville.

What else...? Yeah, I feel like all the articles and news I'm reading are definitely pointing to some type of recession. If not a full blown recession, we're at least on the edge of a serious financial slow down and this gal's worried.

Anyway, despite my pessimism, I'm optimistic? yeah, I didn't think it made much sense either, but it's the truth.

To bed with me where I shall listen to music and attempt to allow slumber to have her way with me.

**disclaimer** any typos or grammatical errors are the fault of the skullcap and not a fair representation of the writer.

ps. still not in bed. Decided to read about Marquise Casati instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment